Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I Want to Go to There: A Geographical Adoration of Fictional Places

By: Emily

Graphic by Emily
We all dream about getting away. Sometimes, when I watch a TV show, I imagine how awesome it must be to live in the world of those characters. The people, the shops, the experiences--they all seem so much cooler than what I am experiencing here in small-town America. Below is a list of awesome (and sometimes creepy) locations where I wished I lived.

Twin Peaks, Washington.
Home of David Lynch and Mark Frost's cult drama series, Twin Peaks is nestled away amidst the high cliffs and waterfalls of mountainous Washington. Twin Peaks outwardly resembles a peaceful quiet little town, but inside it is full of dark secrets. With all the houses resembling fancy cabins, I can imagine no greater camping trip than solving Laura Palmer's murder with Agent Cooper.

Quahog, Rhode Island.
It's hard to think of a kookier family than the Griffins. With Peter, Lois, Meg, Chris, Stewie, and Brian all under one roof breaking bathtubs and inviting James Woods over for dinner, it's crazy to think that anything else even could happen in Quahog. But worry not, there are plenty of escapades happening all over this town filled with snarky comments and subtle (and not-so-subtle) pop culture references. So pull up a chair and have a drink with Peter and the gang at the hottest bar in town, The Drunken Clam.

Stars Hollow, Connecticut. 
When I think of the perfect little town, Stars Hollow instantly comes to mind. With its vibrant orange foliage all year round and quaint little bed and breakfasts and diners, what could be better? Perhaps add clever quick-witted mother-daughter team Lorelei and Rory Gilmore, and you’ve got a winner. Stars Hollow hasso much history from its residents both past and present, that it seems like a great little place to learn about its colorful inhabitants that have probably been there since the beginning of time.

Cicely, Alaska.
Not many people would choose to live in Cicely, Alaska, when given the choice between this cold small town and New York City, but that's because they haven't watched Northern Exposure. With its large cast of colorful but various characters, there's nothing that can't happen for these residents. If you haven't seen this enjoyable little show, you're missing out on some snow-covered fun.

Pawnee, Indiana.
With Leslie Knope being so proud of Pawnee, it's hard not to want to visit the fictional town that is home to the Parks and Recreation Department. With a visit to Pawnee's gay club called "The Buldge" among many of the town's charming local businesses, what's not to love? Plus, if Ron Swanson will be there presenting me with a plate full of bacon upon my arrival, I don't know what more I could ask for.

After much contemplation, I realized that I don't want to live in these crazy locales because of the cool places that I want to hang out in. I want to live in these places because of the people that I want to hang out with. I mean, let's be honest. Pawnee, Indiana seems pretty boring without Leslie Knope causing some sort of kooky ruckus. Even though I find my hometown boring sometimes, I only feel that way when I'm alone. When I'm with my friends, anything is possible. And so I've come to realize that it doesn't matter where you are; all that matters is who you are with.

1 comment:

  1. i'm nearly 21 years old and still upset stars hollow doesn't exist
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete