Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Farewell to a Dear Friend, Liz Lemon.

By: Alex
Art by Alex 
This morning I woke up crying because I knew this would be the last night I would have the opportunity to watch a new episode of 30 Rock. Not only does the end of this series bring an end to the crazy and lovable subculture of the fictional TV show, TGS, but it also means that I have no television to tune into at 8pm on Thursday nights. I know I can (and will) watch reruns of 30 Rock on my collector’s edition DVDs, but there is something magical about finding a television and tuning into NBC at 8pm to watch a show that I love.

I love 30 Rock for the obvious reasons: Liz Lemon (and everything that encompasses this frumpy-yet-godly being), the fact that this show is so quotable (throughout this article I will demonstrate), Jack Donaghy’s piercing blue eyes of an ice dragon (see what I did there), Kenneth the page’s pure love for the greatness of television (which I can TOTALLY feel for), the camaraderie of the writers room (a room I one day hope to be a part of), the fact that this is a television show about television (what could be better!)…okay I’ll force myself to be done (but I’m not really done).

Though I love this show for reasons that many others do, I feel that I love the show more than anyone else. And no, I can’t tell you every episode’s name or which season Matt Damon cameo-ed as Liz Lemon’s boyfriend, but I can tell you that when I watch this show, I have a true feeling of belonging and inspiration. This show has drawn me in every Thursday night for years, no mater where I was, I would fight to find a television. I simply had to see what adventures Tina would write about Liz and her absurd coworkers and failing love life; I simply had to feel that connection to television.

After all of this devotion and fangirling, I can only credit my happiness to one person, Tina Fey. Tina is my idol, girl crush, and twin. I want to be her, but I also feel like I am her. I want to be her in the sense that she has done everything I want to accomplish (wrote a book, writes for television, WAS ON SNL, conveys a positive image for girls), and I feel like I am her in the sense that I wear glasses, fail at romances and frequently fit under the stereotype, 'nerd.' Yes, I am Tina Fey, minus everything cool about her.

Because I idolize Tina Fey so much, it gives me much more of a reason to absolutely love watching her show. Watching 30 Rock gives me hope. To see a woman like Liz Lemon commanding an office and fostering a comedy show that was once a dream is so inspiring. Though she sometimes raised it the most dysfunctional of ways, TGS is Liz Lemon’s baby. And as she struggles with finding a man, becoming a real mom, and continuing to follow her dream in the writing world, I see that she can have it all. No, Liz Lemon will never be glamorous. As we saw last week, Liz probably won’t even have children of her own. But that’s okay. All of these problems she runs into makes her that much more of a real person. Tina’s decision to put so much of herself into a character on TV makes this show different from any other.

Tina has created a show that is a hilarious exaggeration of her own life. Most of the jokes on 30 Rock poke fun at something from her past or play on a quirky trait of someone she knows. Tina created characters that no one else can top, the ghetto-toddler Tracy Jordan, the all-important diva Jenna Maroney, everyone’s favorite goon Kenneth the Page, pathetic, balding yet hilarious Pete Hornberger, the hushed whispers of Jack Donaghy, and of course let’s not forget all the camoes! Characters who show that you can make fun of yourself and still have your pride, are oddly inspiring and makes 30 Rock much more than a television show to me. It’s truthfulness and hilarity has gotten me through my darkest days. No matter how I down I felt, I knew that I had something to look forward to. When I turned on my TV at 8pm on Thursday night, every worry I had about my future, every problem weighing me down, disappeared in laughter as I got completely wrapped up in the world of Liz Lemon. I’m so grateful for that.

But sadly, as of January 31st, 2013, my life will be a little bit more empty. I would like to say that 30 Rock is my show because I love it so much, but I know I’m not the only fan out there. In fact, I’m one of many. This show has such a cult following that I know its popularity will never die, and that’s what’s so comforting as the series reaches its close. Though I am truly heartbroken to see my adventures with Liz Lemon come to an end, I will never lose what 30 Rock has brought me over these years. One day, I will just have to hope to create something just as comparable—something just as great.

And so I end this article, I express my gratitude with a poem. 

Ode to 30 Rock

At 30 Rockefeller Center
Is where I go to feel better.
In the glorious world of show biz
Is where we find our hero Liz.
You’ve validated making mistakes
And the safety in eating three helpings of cake.
Though many people mistake you for a man,
You never fail to do what you can.
Liz Lemon you’ve done it all
You made us feel like we’re not so small
But let’s be real, what I’ll really miss
Is that you and Jack never got to kiss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment