Saturday, December 29, 2012

In Defense of Old Movies

By: Emily

Graphic by Emily
My alarm goes off at 8AM and I immediately somersault out of bed. Those who know me know there is only one thing that can get me out of bed this early on a Monday: movies. And so I arrive to the first day of my American Cinema until 1970 class amped and ready to learn. My professor, a white-bearded yet completely bald man, welcomes me in with a small smile. Once everyone else arrives to class, he asks us a question: "How many of you actually like to watch old movies?"

Immediately my hand shoots up into the air and I see a few other stragglers raise their hands after me. I wonder if my classmates were just so lethargic because it was 8AM on a Monday or if they really just did not like old movies. It was in that moment that I realized why only a few people raised their hands. Today in our world of movie-watching, we are bombarded with too many camera tricks. From 3D to computer-generated special effects to excessive language and violence, as modern audience members we are spoiled. We will sit through three hours-worth of explosions, but getting through a one and half hour black and white drama seems nearly impossible.

Now don't get me wrong; I have been known to enjoy a good fast-paced car chase, and there are some older movies that are great if only because I can easily nap to them. But there are many benefits to watching movies more than fifty years old. For me, the magic of watching Bringing Up Baby every year with my family or experiencing Marlon Brando's powerful performance in A Streetcar Named Desire again and again is unmatched by any modern movie. After all, there is a reason these movies are still remembered by older and younger generations alike. Many films like these have stood the test of time because of the striking camera work or progressive subject matter or memorable performances by some of the greatest actors ever. I mean, what other movie has covered such important social issues in the same manor of To Kill A Mockingbird did? Or has the same grandiose cinematography as Citizen Kane?  If you like any movie ever, chances are it was inspired by or taken some aspect of it from another movie that came before it. Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese both say that Citizen Kane has inspired their work in one way or another, and it inspires me too. In fact, tons of old movies inspire me.

I can watch Citizen Kane a thousand times and still be amazed by the transitions in that film. Each shot is perfectly established with sturdy angles and dramatic lighting. The image of Charles Foster Kane clapping at the opera is one that will probably never leave my mind. And it's films like that--films that can stay with you long after you see them, and make you want to keep coming back for another viewing--that really matter. For me, Citizen Kane is just one example of an older film that should never be forgotten.

And so, I say that old movies should not be immediately dismissed because they may be "out of date" or "boring." They have merit and they have purpose and they can inspire. After my American Cinema class ended for the semester, I knew tons of students that discovered some great movies that they now love and will continue to love until the day they die. So next time, before you immediately write off another old movie, I urge you to at least give it a try first. Who knows? It might turn out to be one of your new favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment